Here it is -- Manila Bulletin TRAVEL magazine's "exclusive interview" (their words, not mine) with me. In today's issue. Puts the "happy" in my "Happy Valentine". Valentine na lang ang kulang.
BULLETIN: What city/province are you from?
ME: I was born in Cebu but grew up here in Metro Manila.
B: What made you "click" on that image?
M: It was simply too beautiful. Seeing the view from the lcd screen of my camera, I felt like -- and I know this will sound like a cliche -- I had stumbled into or have been transported to a deserted island. I actually felt like I had trespassed into somebody’s
private hideaway with the boat there. I think anybody with a camera, professional or not, who would be presented with that view or something like it would click away too.
B: What do you think is/are the factor/s that made it into the Bluelist Moments?
M: I really don't know. What I do know is that in the web page for the photo challenges of Lonely Planet, which publishes Blue List, visitors to the site are asked to vote for the photos that most make them want to travel. I guess that’s the main criterion. No, not the votes but the desire, as one of the comments I got for my photo puts it, “to crawl into the photo and see
what the world inside is like".
B: Has travel photography always been your hobby?
M: I got into photography only 4 years ago. Interestingly enough, it was because of church work. I was putting together a commemorative magazine for our parish fiesta and had to take photos of the events myself. I borrowed a friend's point-and-shoot digital camera and
shot away. I enjoyed it instantly, immensely. I was encouraged even more by the nice feedback I got for the photos. I got myself my own point-and-shoot camera shortly after and I've taken it with me everywhere. It's always in my bag. And, truth be told, the love for photography has buoyed my interest in travel. I travel more now, mainly to take pictures.
B: What is your philosophy on taking travel photos?
M: I don't really know if I have one. I just try -- more like hope, really -- to take photos that do justice to the views, or at least capture even just a fraction of their beauty and wonders.
B: How often do you travel?
M: Once a year abroad and 3 to 4 times locally.
B: What do you love about taking photos in Philippine destinations?
M: They are just so photogenic!
B: Name your top 3 favorite destinations in the Philippines and please state why.
M: Ilocos would be tops for the amazing variety of sites and views -- from the old world charms of the colonial town that is Vigan and the rustic and rusty American-era lighthouse in Burgos, to the even more rustic 5 century-old Paoay Church and the fantastic, futuristic windmills in Bangui. Then there’s Baguio, which I love for its cool, cool climate – and the fog! It’s like an entirely different country there. Completing this list is Boracay. I’ve been there almost every year for the past 8 years and I haven’t grown tired of it. I still want to go back again and
again for the 3 Ss – sun, sea and sand that’s simply the best you can find in the country.
B: Other than the Camiguin picture, what among your photos do you think could have been included in the Bluelist moments? What was it about?
M: Maybe one of the shots I took by the Underground River in Puerto Prinsesa (another blue boat, this one seemingly headed towards a tree hunched just slightly above the green water). Or maybe one of the photos from my Bangkok trip (a dream-like image of pigeons in the park outside the Grand Palace). Or maybe a Boracay pic. Or maybe none. I really could not say.
B: What are the next destinations that you plan to go to in the near future?
M: Bohol, Batanes and Beijing.
No comments:
Post a Comment