Monday, July 2, 2007

Pathetic

I caught the tail end of Ted Failon’s radio interview this morning with the chief of police in Laguna about the recent gang rape of a 16-year old girl. The police officer noted that, as much as they’d like to solve the case right away, there are technicalities in the procedures and due process that they must follow in the ongoing investigation. Ted left it at that.

After the interview, though, he said something along these lines: Kung naging mayaman lang ang biktima sigurado akong nahuli kaagad ang mga suspects… Due process, due process!

What the…! It’s one thing to deride law enforcers for the preferential treatment they (allegedly!) give the rich but it’s an entirely different thing to openly advocate lawlessness.

I don’t hold the police force in high esteem myself but this, this is just wrong. That it came from a veteran broadcaster makes it pathetic. BUti na lang hindi siya nanalo when he ran for Congressman. I shudder thinking about the kinds of misguided laws he might've concocted.

No comments: